Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Our new "Young Ladies Class"

A few Saturday mornings ago there was a flurry of activity at my house. I hosted our church's first "Young Ladies Class" for girls ages 7 - 14. It's a time once a month that the girls can get together either at my home or the church with an emphasis on learning homemaking and personal growth skills. (Really I just get to have lots of fun while we dream up fun activities!) I had announced the event a few weeks ahead of time and the excitement had been building. As the girls arrived I could see the anticipation in their faces. "What would we do?" "Would it be fun?" "Would I fit in?"

After everyone arrived I started by explaining how that the days' activities would centre around kitchen basics, a Bible lesson and craft. We opened the Bible and I taught how that just like following a good recipe, the Bible is a recipe for our lives. If we listen and follow God's plan for us then our lives will turn out right. But if we choose not to follow God's word then we can expect our lives to flop (like a bad cake recipe!)


Then we headed to the kitchen where I divided the group into three teams. Team 1 was to mix up the cookie dough. Team 2 was to spoon the dough onto the cookie sheets and Team 3 would be doing the clean up.

The team donned aprons and got to work. Since it would be a few minutes until the dough was mixed up, I arranged for Teams 2 and 3 to participate in the craft.

I provided them with red postcards, foam flowers, a pre-printed scripture and they could decorate them however the chose.




I was amazed once again at the creativity of young minds. Some wanted to be just like someone else's and some wanted to be totally different!


The cookies we made are called Children's Favourites. I didn't have a chance to photograph the cookies because we were so anxious to taste the fruit of our labours. However, here's a picture from a previous post....

1 cup margarine
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a large mixing bowl beat together margarine, peanut butter, white and brown sugars. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg. Add vanilla and mix well.

In a separate bowl combine oatmeal, flour, and baking soda. Gradually add to butter mixture and beat well. Stir in chocolate chips. Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes (just till very slightly browned being careful not to overbake them.) Cool on pans or wire racks. Makes 5+ dozen

And finally, just before we said goodbye I asked the group if any of them knew what a "Door Prize" was and I was returned with blank stares. With glee I explained how that when girls get together and have a party the hostess usually offers a door prize to one special guest. WOW! Were they excited now. I had carefully selected an inexpensive gift to give away and now was my chance. We wrote their names on pieces of paper and while we sang a little chorus we shook them up. Then I picked the winner and there were shouts of surprise! Yeah for Alysha!

Then the questions came..."Would we be having a door prize at every meeting?" "What happens if the same person is selected again?" and so on.

So as we waited for the moms to arrive, we used my camera to snap some funny candids. A great time was had by all and we're all looking forward to next month's activity. Later, as I thought about the day, I was blessed to be able to share things that took me years to learn as an adult. The potential in these young ladies is unending and helping them to develop their talents is an awesome experience.

Blessings to you,
Jessica

6 comments:

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

I LOVE this idea! Sounds like you all enjoyed such a great time!

BECKY said...

Hi Jessica,

So glad you stopped by today!! I have a Keepers at Home club that I began this school year, and we meet in my home every Thursday. We have a great time. It's like Scouts except unashamedly based on the Bible. We have worked on several awards including Baking, Counted Cross Stitch, Decoupage, and now we're learning etiquette. The girls will be hosting a mother/daughter tea for Mother's Day. You can google it and find out more infor if you're interested.

Keep up the good work!! It is such a joy to invest in these little lives. Who knows what the Lord will do with it in their future!!?? Sounds like you are doing a great job!!

Blessings and joy,
Becky

Carla said...

Kudos to you for sharing your belief and fun with God's youth!!

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

Hi Jessica, I loved seeing your recipe in the Far Country Friends!!!

Kelli said...

What a wonderful time together and the cookies look delicious!
~Kelli

Cinnamon said...

Hi, I'm a new visitor~ I love your Youth get together. I've been looking for something like this to do with a group of girls at church or in our neighborhood. Thanks for the great details and idea~ Cinnamon