Italian Chocolate Almond Biscotti. Mostly offered at gourmet coffee shops, this sweet treat is a delight for the tastebuds. Here's a simple way to make your own and stop paying high prices.
Chocolate Almond Biscotti
* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 1 1/4 cup sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1 tsp almond extract
* 2 1/4 cup flour
* 1/4 cup cocoa powder
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1 cup chocolate chips
* 1 tbsp shortening
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a bowl beat together butter, eggs, sugar and almond flavor until smooth.
3. In another bowl sift together flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder.
4. Blend into butter mixture until smooth.
5. Divide dough in half and shape by rolling 2 logs about 11 inches long. I pat down the top just a bit to flatten. Place each roll on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and cool for about 10 minutes. Use a serrated knife to make 1/2 inch slices. Place slices on their sides and return to oven for about 6 minutes. Flip slices over and bake for 6 minutes more.
7. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
8. Make chocolate glaze by mixing chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for one minute on high. Stir until mixed and smooth. Drizzle glaze over biscotti.
One word of caution....they're addictive!