Sunday, March 14, 2010

An Insightful Post

My friend Julie posted the article below today and I was so encouraged after I read it that I wanted to share it here.

It's called, "When Insecurities Come, Which Way Will You Go?"

I have lived long enough to experience all sorts of personal disappointments and disasters. I have experienced being rejected, humiliated and lied to by people that were supposed to have loved me. I have been shocked and disappointed in people I have invested in and loved, and hurt and betrayed by some who have said that they would stand by me and with me.

And I'm not the only one. Many, many other people that I have known over the years have experienced these same things too.

When these things happen, there is always one consistent feeling that comes . . . and that is the feeling of insecurity.

What is insecurity? It is the feeling of not being confident or sure of yourself anymore. It brings with it a feeling of "being shaky" and often causes us to ask questions like, "What's wrong with me?", "Am I able?", "What is my worth?", "Am I beautiful enough?", "Will I ever be enough?" and make statements like, "I'll never", "I wish", and "I need to".

I have noticed that after a woman spends time questioning herself and making general statements about herself, she usually begins to take action and follow a certain direction.

Where do women go from here?

Many go towards sexiness. They feel that becoming more sexy will bring them the confidence that they need to regain. More make-up, less clothes, nights out on the town, and time spent at the salon and with strange men are the things that they believe will help them become more confident and steady during this time.

Some go towards self-centeredness. These are the ones who are going to make sure that no one ever takes advantage of them again by making sure that their needs are now the most important focus of every day. Now is the time to think only about themselves. They do what they want with their time, talents and treasures. It doesn't matter to them how their choices affect anybody else, as long as they are centering their effort around themselves, they believe they are on the right path of regaining their personal confidence and strength.

And few go towards God. They are the ones that understand that life is filled with trials and tribulation, and that in this world they will have trouble ~ but they take heart, because they know that God has overcome the world. They make it their goal to forgive those that have offended them and to stay strong for those who are watching them as they endure the storm of insecurity as it comes. These are the ones that have dedicated themselves to a life lived for God at the expense of a life lived to be loved by others.

I decided many years ago to go towards God when insecurity comes. I have chosen to take the burdens that have overwhelmed me in this life and use them to make a bridge. A bridge that would take me to the feet of God. And as soon as I get there, do you know what I hear? I hear such beautiful things.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." Jeremiah 29:11

"The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee." Jeremiah 31:3

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Psalm 139:4

"Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." Hebrews 13:5

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13

Going to God in my times of insecurity has become such a pleasant experience for me over the years, that I have made it my goal to help others learn how to build a bridge to Him so that they can go to him when insecurity comes their way as well.

Insecurity is one of those things that no one wants to experience. Every one of us wants to feel strong and confident and sure. And that is why when it comes, we all run somewhere to help us get rid of it.

When insecurity comes your way, which way will go? Will you go towards sexiness? Will you go towards self-centeredness? Or will you go towards God?

I know what I have decided to do. I have decided to go towards God. I want the world to know that God can be trusted . . . even with something as precious as my insecurities.

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." John 16:33


No comments: