Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A Time to Relax

This past August I spent a very enjoyable Saturday afternoon ambling through our local outdoor Arts & Craft Show. The weather was perfect with the sun shining and there were smiles all around.

As I meandered from booth to booth I was amazed at how inventive people were. There were a few artisans in particular that caught my eye, one of which was a lady who did oil painting. This is something that I've never done before. Most of my experience has been with acrylic paint. As I looked over her artwork we talked a little about technique and scenes, etc. She then let me know that she had a home studio where she teaches oil painting classes. The classes are 3 hours long and she provides all the materials. This really piqued my interest. As we said good-bye she handed me her flyer which I tucked into my purse.

When I got home I pulled out the flyer and began to read a few of the details. I realized that for a very small investment I could try oil painting. A few days later I mentioned to my mother about the oil painting classes. She could hear how interested I was in taking the class so as a gift for my birthday (which was in less than a month) she sent me the $$$ for it.

To make a long story short, this past Saturday I took the oil painting class along with four other ladies. It was so fun. The teacher was so personable and patient that I can't wait to reserve my next space.

One funny note: I was in a hurry when I arrived home with the painting because I was taking some of my Sunday school kids outdoor ice skating. So, in my hustle and bustle I tripped over Gus (see previous post) and I managed to get some of the oil paint on me and smudged a couple of places on the canvas. I also picked up a few dog hairs which I carefully had to remove. This resulted in a few "dull" spots on the painting which I'm hoping will disappear when the whole thing dries.

So, here is a photo of my painting. It is an 8x10 lake scene done in black, whites & grays. I can't wait to find a frame for it. I hope you like it.

No comments: