Friday, February 6, 2009

Show & Tell Friday


Welcome again to my Show & Tell this week. I'm going to share my latest project which I've completed. But first I have to tell you that some time ago I was asked the question, "How do you eat an elephant?" Knowing that there must be some trick answer seeing the question came from one of my Sunday School kids, I easily gave up on trying to figure it out. "One bite at a time!" came the excited answer with giggles. And don't you know this week's Show & Tell reminds me of that silly joke because it was with one stitch at a time that I completed the counted crosstitch that you see pictured below.


I honestly can't remember when I started this project but I do know that when I saw the pattern I fell in love with the colors and messaging. For years I would bring out my special teddy bear bag with its box of thread, needles and aida cloth and would stitch away. Sometimes having to remove a section because of haste or confusion but in the end everything blended together perfectly.

As you can see from the date I actually finished the needlework 3 years ago but I tucked it away for some unknown reason and didn't get it framed. Well,
a few weeks ago I came across it again and have been plotting the framing since then.

The stitching is 10 x 12 inches and the frame is 16 x 20. There is glass in the frame but I removed it for the photo so as to avoid any glare.

Here is a close up of the stitching.....



What a satisfying feeling to have this project finally completed. I hope that if you've got something on the go that you've maybe been avoiding that you'll pick it back up remembering that you can finish it, "One bite at a time."

Thanks for visiting my show and tell this week and please stop by Kelli's to see what others are sharing this week.

Cheers,

Jessica

12 comments:

Carla said...

one bite at a time is my motto!!! This is so pretty! I love the design and colors too, you did a lovely job. Thank you for sharing today:)

Heidi Pocketbook said...

How talented you are--the needlework is gorgeous.

I've had to adopt the one bite at a time phrase this year. I began scanning old family photos and slides last month--my goal is to average 24 per day. It doesn't sound like much, but it's better than what was getting done before that.

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you visit my blog again :-)

Patchwork Mill, Maria said...

I like your finished project, this is a nice picture and your stitches are really accurate! I could see it very closely! :)
I also like your "motto": ""One bite at a time." I am often inpatient, so I should follow this saying.
Thank you for sharing and your kind words in my blog.
Maria

JudyBug said...

What beautiful work! I used to do counted cross-stitch years ago when my kiddo was little. I can appreciate the many, many hours that went into that sampler.

You will have to show your Aladdin lamp one day!

Anonymous said...

You did such a great job on that. I would have a hard time seeing where I was suppose to put my needle.

Alpine Sanctum said...

That's so pretty, and I like the idea of putting the date on it so directly. I never would have thought of it, but imagine what an heirloom it will be in a generation or two, when whoever pulls it out will know *exactly* how old it is!

Karen Sherrill said...

How beautiful! My youngest daughter likes to cross stitch...such a relaxing art ;o).

Karen

Carrie said...

This is such a beautiful pattern and you completed it well.
This makes me remember working on the four framed needlework items that I have around the house. it was always great to complete the final stitch!

Kelli said...

It's just beautiful! Congratulations on completing it!
~Kelli

P. said...

This is so beautiful.

Alfazema

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

sew beautiful!

Secondhand Blessings said...

I also do cross stitch, this is a lovely piece that your created. It was well worth the time it took you to make.
Brenda