Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Homemade Buttermilk Doughnuts

Thanks to my wonderful mother-in-law, it's been over twenty years since I started making homemade buttermilk doughnuts. I can't ever remember a visit to her home when we couldn't find some of these delicious treats tucked away in the tin below the cupboard or in the freezer.

My favourite way to enjoy them is fresh from the fryer, split in half and dipped in homemade strawberry jam. My next favourite way is to shake them in sugar when they've cooled a few minutes. Yum..Yum..

A couple of weeks ago when she came for a week-long visit, I decided to carry on the tradition to let her know how much I appreciate her.

And I don't think it would be very nice of me to carryon about how good these are with sharing the recipe so here goes....

Pour 2 cups of buttermilk and stirr in 2 heaping tsp. of baking soda. In a separte bowl beat 2 eggs. Then add 2 cups sugar, 2 tblsp shortening and 1 tsp. of lemon flavoring. Mix all well and buttermilk. Stir. Add about 6 - 7 cups of white all purpose flour. Dough will be quite sticky. Set in fridge overnight.

In an electric skillet or large pot, heat about 4 lbs. of lard to 350 degrees. Roll dough about 1" thick and cut with a doughnut cutter. Be sure to flour your surface and cutter.




Drop doughnuts into lard. Flip over when lightly browned. Remove from skillet with a large fork and slip onto a wooden dowl in order to remove excess oil.


Then place on paper towels. Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container or plastic storage bag.


If preferred, shake warm doughnuts in a bag with sugar to lightly coat them.

Better than the local coffee shop........guaranteed!

3 comments:

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Now that is some serious cooking! I'll just have to come to your kitchen and eat.

Dawn @ simply transparent said...

we used to make this growning up in the country where there were no doughnut shops around! They were/are the best freshest you can get!

Carla said...

so beautiful!!! I'm glad I'm NOT there-I would eat them all-not good!