Monday, July 21, 2008

Late Night Strawberry Delight

Supper was late tonight because we were working in the yard. We used every last bit of sunlight to finish planting our cherry tree, weed the vegetable/fruit garden and spray off a few unwanted bugs.

Just after I came in, the doorbell rang. A sweet older couple stopped by to deliver some fresh picked garden peas! Wonderful! Hubby quickly shelled some peas to add to our supper of grilled marinated shrimp and burgers. MMmmmmm.

As an after supper treat I decided to use some of our delicious strawberries that we bought on Saturday but I couldn't decide just what to do with them. Then I remembered I had this simple crepe recipe that is so quick to make with my kitchen-aid mixer.

Crepes
1 cup flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. melted butter

1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and the eggs. Gradually add in the milk and water, stirring to combine. Add the salt and butter; beat until smooth.

2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.

3. Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side. Serve hot.

While cooking the crepes I chopped up the strawberries and sprinkled a little sugar on them. When the crepe was ready I put it on a large plate, drizzled some coffee flavored syrup on it and then spooned in some strawberries. Then I rolled it up, drizzled a little more syrup and added a few strawberries on top.

Since my husband knew I was pretty tired after supper, he was so surprised when I brought him one of these late night delights. It was fun to spoil him and he really appreciated it.

I just love summertime!

1 comment:

Kim said...

How sweet! Both the crepes and the surprise for your hubby.