Tuesday, January 22, 2008

3 Cheese Calzones - MMMmmmm

**Please see the survey question at the bottom.

A few years ago my good friend Roxanne, who is Italian by descent, showed me how to make her mother's wonderful pasta sauce. Now, I used to live in Italy as a teenager so I have tasted the real thing and this recipe is just wonderful.

So, knowing that I'm having company next week and I like to have some sauce on hand, I prepared a large pot.

I started with a little olive oil in the pot. Added chopped garlic (lots) and onion. Today I put in 5 cloves and 2 small onion. Then I added 3 large cans of crushed tomatoes and 2-19 oz. cans of Italian stewed tomatoes. One of Roxanne's tips is to find tomatoes that don't have any water added.

Then I added some salt & pepper and a little fresh basil, oregano and a couple bay leaves. Simmer for a while. Most people say, "Wow - It's so simple." And for me, I like simple. I use this for making homemade pizzas, or add a little ground beef for a meat sauce. And actually one of my favorite meals is one my mother makes - pot roast simmered in the sauce. MMmmmmm.

When my husband came home this afternoon, he just about sniffed all the oxygen out of the air - "This smells SO good!!!"

Our meal of choice this evening was - Three Cheese Calzones.



A little homemade pizza dough stuffed with Mozzarella, Ricotta (no whey), and Parmesan cheeses and baked for 15 minutes. They were scrumptious.



Survey -

What are your favorite calzone ingredients? - please leave your answers in the comments.

1 comment:

Jasmine's Journey said...

That looks soooo good. I LOVE Italian food. I make my own home made spaghetti sauce as well. I recently made Stromboli and posted about it on my blog. Tonight my dd and I made mini stromboli's. I had to stop myself from having more.